8/28/2014

Trial by fire by Josephine Angelini: review


Trial by fire
by Josephine Angelini


Expected publication: September 2nd 2014 by Feiwel & Friends
Series: The Worldwalker Trilogy #1

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying experiences that others in her hometown of Salem take for granted, which is why she is determined to enjoy her first high school party with her best friend and longtime crush, Tristan. But after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class, Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly, Lily is in a different Salem—one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruelest of them all is Lillian . . . Lily's other self in this alternate universe.


What makes Lily weak at home is what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. In this confusing world, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone and a love she never expected.







The flames rise, and I twist and scream, trying to get away, but the iron shackles on my wrist keep me bound to this stake.
I’m a witch. And witches burn.


I was looking for a book about good old witches for a long time, and this one rocked my world!

This is the story about Lily. At the beginning we see her as a normal girl who has a hard life, being allergic and having a bit crazy mom. She’s in love with her best friend who finally started to notice her in a romantic way. Soon she won’t be able to go to school because of her illness, and the only thing she dreams about is to go for a party with her boyfriend best friend, even though it’s dangerous for her health. But something goes wrong, and now she has her heart broken. That’s the moment when she thinks that she’s ready to leave it all; that she had enough. Beckoned by her inner voice (as she thought), she accidentally travels to another world. There she meets her evil doppelganger, becomes a member of the riot against the government, falls in love and becomes a strong woman.

I loved the worldbuilding. Lily transports to the same Salem she was living in, but, at the same time, they couldn’t be more different. This new world is ruled by the most powerful witch, her Coven and by Council, which represents interest of usual citizens. They all wear special stones that help them to do magic. Witches also have mechanics – people who tend to them, their personal knights. There are also Outlenders – poor people who are forbidden to live in the city. They don’t get help from the government – no medical treatment, no food, no shelter. And when they tried to survive by themselves, without magic and with the help of science, it made them traitors. But why is Lillian – the main Witch of this Salem – so against science, that she’s ready to kill thousands of people to get rid of it? That’s the question.

All characters in this book are well-written. I loved Lily – brave, funny, stubborn. She often made me laugh. I imagined her like that:



I loved Rowan – her swoon-worthy love interest. He is a perfect book boyfriend. I’m sure you’ll love him! Secondary characters took a big part in this story, they were as important, as the main ones. But, most of all, I was interested in Lillian.

I remember what I must do, even if it makes me the villain of my own story. Most importantly, I remember that the good of the many really does outweigh the good of the few. Even if one of those few is me.

I just loooove those villains who are happen to be not so villain. She wasn’t born evil, nor does she enjoy doing it. Her story is one of the most heartbreaking I’ve ever read about. She lost everything for a greater cause, or at least that’s what she thinks. I could see logic in her doing.

All in all, this book has everything I needed: a well thought-out plot, detailed worldbuilding, lovable characters, swoony romance, hilarious jokes and lot’s of magic!

And now… keep calm and wait for the sequel.




1 comment:

  1. I thought that this book was amazing! If you're interested, I'm hosting a giveaway for the sequel to this book on my blog. Here's the link, just in case you're interested: http://www.bookrambles.com/2015/05/firewalker-by-josephine-angelini-arc.html

    ReplyDelete