4/22/2015

The Queen (The Selection 0.4) by Kiera Cass: review


The Queen
by Kiera Cass

Published December 2nd 2014 by HarperTeen Impulse
series: The Selection 0.4


Before America Singer's story began, another girl came to the palace to compete for the hand of a different prince….

Don't miss this digital original novella set in the captivating world of Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series. This prequel story takes place before the events of The Selection and is told from the point of view of Prince Maxon's mother, Amberly. Discover a whole new Selection with this inside look at how Maxon's parents met—and how an ordinary girl named Amberly became a beloved queen.




This is the suckest book I`ve read in a year. It`s only 72 pages long and almost each one of them made me scream internally.



We get a glimpse of the life of Maxon`s parents: Queen Amberly and King Clarkson. Only she`s not a Queen yet and he`s just a Prince, looking for a wife. Amberly is a part of the Selection. She barely knows Clarkson (only thanks to TV) but he was the love of her life since before she could walk. Every night she prayed on his photo and picked names for their future babies.
The story starts some time after she started to live in a palace as a Selected. Their first interaction with the Prince went somewhat like that:

- Cut your hair.
- You don`t like it?
- Meh, I think you`ll look better with a short hair.
- Well, even though I like my long hair, I would go bald if you asked to.


So, my first expression was that Amberly is a naïve, boneless fool and Clarkson is a son of a bitch (which turned out to be true, but I won`t even start with his mother, this is a complete shit). My expression only grows stronger after he starts to treat her like trash because of her caste, and she continues to see him as God.

«You are never to tell anyone what you do. If anyone asks, your family owns a coffee plantation, and you help run it. Be vague and never, ever let on that you do manual labor. Are we clear?”
“Yes, Your Highness.”
He eyed me a moment longer, as if to reinforce the point. But his command was all I needed. I’d never not do anything he asked me to.»




He`s a controlling jerk who can compete with Mr. Gray with his 50 shades, only without BDSM factor. His parents are constantly fighting and, because he doesn`t want to be like them, he`s looking for a wife that won`t ever say “no” to him. Yay, problem solved, no fighting! A husband everyone`s been dreaming for!
His character can be described by one quote:

«I’m the prince, and one day I will be king. My word is law.»

Moreover, Amberly turned out to be infertile. How do you think he should`ve reacted? Obviously not by ignoring her while she felt depressed and needed his help. But everything ends fine – Clarkson doesn`t like kids anyway.

If you thought The Selection was awful – try this one. Just for fun. Okay, seriously, don`t read it. I was pleased by the first book, but this novel only spoiled everything, especially my opinion about Maxon`s parents. And I thought I liked Queen Amberly.






No comments:

Post a Comment